Covering your mouth to hide your smile is no way to go through life. When you’re embarrassed about the way your teeth look and it’s impacting your lifestyle and confidence level, it’s time to visit an orthodontist like drName at practiceName in Richmond for help. But you don’t want to wear braces, you say? The good news is that there’s another option besides traditional metal braces. Clear aligners are the wave of the future in providing beautiful smiles without the hassles of a mouth full of metal.
What are clear aligners?
In an effort to address the complaints of patients who didn’t like the visibility and hassles of traditional braces, the creators of clear aligners came up with the first truly invisible way to straighten teeth. Clear aligners have been a game changer for those who want their smiles improved discreetly, instead of it being so obvious that orthodontic treatment is underway.
How do they work?
Aligners are custom-made for each patient using strong, clear plastic. There are no metal brackets or wires required; treatment simply consists of wearing a series of clear aligners. drName takes molds of your mouth to be used to create personalized trays that make gradual adjustments to reposition your teeth. The aligners gently exert pressure to shift teeth into desired positions, including horizontal, vertical or rotated movements. The removeable trays should be worn at least 20 hours every day for the best results, and each aligner is worn for three weeks before you switch to the next one in the series of trays. Length of treatment depends on the severity of your condition, as well as properly following drName’s instructions during treatment.
What are the benefits?
Clear aligners provide many benefits to patients. These include:
- Invisible – the aligners are so invisible that others may not even notice you’re wearing them.
- Removeable – aligners are removed during eating and cleaning. There are no restrictions about what you can eat, and you can follow your normal oral hygiene routine.
- Comfortable – there are no wires to poke your mouth and the smooth plastic aligners do not cause irritation.
- Confidence – your confidence level improves both during and after treatment.
- Tooth condition – aligners can help prevent tooth wear caused by grinding. This saves your tooth enamel and lowers your risk for decay, damage or infection.
Are they right for me?
Clear aligners are a great choice for patients with mild to moderate tooth misalignment, gaps, or crowding. However, patients with more severe issues, including overbites or underbites, may not be good candidates for clear aligners. drName is experienced in treating patients with all levels of orthodontic problems and can tell you if clear aligners are right for you.